Friday, September 27, 2013

Puppies

A while back, before I got Spock, I wrote this post, in response to an article I read on the Dog Channel website: http://arealmenagerie.blogspot.com/2012/08/are-puppy-bad-pets.html

Now that I've owned a puppy here is my take on it. First, about puppies destroying things. The following is a list of things Spock has chewed (not counting garden produce and chew toys):

  1. A new belt- he only chewed the end of it, and after I cut off the bitten part, the belt looked perfectly fine.
  2. An old belt- again, he did little damage
  3. A book- a large volume on home veterinary care from the library. As the book was still readable, I was not charged for it (though it would have been pricy)
  4. A rubber hand toy- almost valueless, but dangerous to Spock!
  5. A magazine- just a few pages, and we owned the magazine
  6. A couple blankets- blankets put in his kennel for his own use
  7. Leashes- none fully destroyed except for one Flexi, and that was most likely not his fault.
  8. His kennel- very little damage done
  9. A rake- he only chewed the end of the handle, and Dad shouldn't have left it in a handy chewing spot...
 That's all I know from memory, and the value was very low of the items that were fully destroyed.

"When I see an adult dog that needs a home, I think, 'There’s someone’s best friend. He just needs a chance'... When I see a puppy that needs a home.... I think.... 'just put your shoes, cell phones, throw pillows, and other loose valuables into a box, walk down to the closest body of water, and toss it all in.'"
 
Spock didn't ruin any shoes, cell phones, or throw pillows.
 
And why can't a puppy that needed a home ever not become a friend? 
 
And another quote from the article: "Whenever someone announces, excitedly, 'I’m getting a puppy!' I actually groan."
 
Wow, everyone that knew I was getting a puppy actually seemed happy about it...
 
Anyway, Spock was A LOT of work, but for the most part he's been great fun!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment